Yes… You – the least techy person reading this – You Code.
Here are some examples of common scenarios where we all code:
- When a couple listens to a song and makes it theirs, they are unconsciously programming themselves to later associate that song with the love they feel for each other.
- When you kindly (and repeatedly) ask your kid to look both ways before crossing the road, you are programming him/her to keep her safe when you’re not there.
- When mom cooks my favorite meal. Anytime that I smell or order that dish in a restaurant, who do you think comes to mind?
- When you press snooze on your alarm every morning, your programming your body to procrastinate. (On the other hand, getting out of bed immediately programs your body to get ready for a new round!)
- When you program yourself to score every time you catch the ball, like Jerry Rice – the greatest wide receiver in NFL history – did. (Bo Eason explains how/why Jerry did that in minute 20:10 of this video).
- Last but not least, when you listen to/see a notification on your phone and you react reading to it immediately. …well, let me introduce you to Ivan Pavlov and his cute dogs to explain what is called Classical Conditioning – another type of programming.
As with technology, we always have the chance to refactor the process – to restructure our initial behavior and responses to certain triggers.
Keep on Learning…..and Refactoring.